Ferriby 1-4 Solihull: Second Half Capitulation makes the mountain to climb even higher

After last week’s defeat at Bromley today’s game with Solihull was vital. Ferriby had to win otherwise the impossible dream would begin to live up to it’s title. With Curtis Bateson injured and Taron Hare suspended Steve Housham was down to the bare bones which made the task even harder. Despite all of this Ferriby started brightly and were the better side. They have done this quite often at home this season but have sometimes failed to find a goal. Ferriby were camped in the Solihull half for the first 25 minutes as they won the early midfield battle but unfortunately they couldn’t find a goal. Frustratingly it was Solihull who had the first real chance when they pulled a shot across goal and narrowly wide of Rory Watson’s goal. They then took the lead shortly afterwards against the run of play. A Solihull shot was tipped onto the post by Rory Watson as he dived to his left but the Ferriby defence were caught napping as Simeon Maye pounced on the rebound to give the away side the lead.

This was a blow as Ferriby had been the better team but thankfully it didn’t take them long to find a way back into the game. A corner was floated into the box and was only half cleared. The ball fell to the feet of Robbie Tinkler who took one touch and smashed it home from just inside the area. It was a great finish from the Middlesbrough loanee and was no less than Ferriby deserved. Ferriby continued to pepper the Solihull box with crosses for the rest of the first half but they couldn’t find another goal scoring opportunity and the teams went in level at half time.


Ferriby players celebrate Robbie Tinkler’s goal but that was as good as it got

HT North Ferriby United 1-1 Solihull Moors

The cliché “A game of two halves” is often overused but this game summed it perfectly. Ferriby completely capitulated in the second half and afterwards Steve Housham labelled it Ferriby’s worst half of the season. After being so positive in the first half they never got going in the second period and the cohesion went in midfield and attack.

Solihull took the lead midway through the half. A defensive mix up between Mark Gray and Robbie Tinkler left Rory Watson helpless as he sprinted out of his goal to try and clear the ball. Omari Sterling-James nipped in and put the ball into the empty net. This optimised the half for Ferriby and it would only get worse.

The third Solihull goal was too easy from a defensive point of view. A cross into the box from a free kick was met by George Carline who rose unchallenged to power his header past Rory Watson and into the net. With a little over ten minutes to go this went a long way towards sealing the game for the visitors.

The salt was well and truly rubbed into the Ferriby wounds in stoppage time when substitute Nortel Nortey was given too much space on the right hand side of the box and he did well to steer a shot across Watson and into the opposite corner to spark jubilant celebrations from the visiting fans. For the Ferriby fans it was the total opposite feeling as the reality begins to dawn on them that the task of survival is probably beyond them.

FT Ferriby 1-4 Solihull Moors

About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Match Reports, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s