North Ferriby United 0-2 Macclesfield: A reality check for The Villagers

North Ferriby United 0-2 Macclesfield: A Reality Check for The Villagers

After last week’s fantastic away win at Southport it’s fair to say confidence was high going into yesterday’s home match with Macclesfield. Despite the Silkmen sitting tenth and having already beaten Ferriby twice this season the home crowd were confident The Villagers could get something from the game.

The game started brightly with both sides creating half chances. Jake Skelton saw a header saved from a Taron Hare long throw before Macclesfield went up the other end and almost opened the scoring. Rory Watson came for a long ball and didn’t get there in time, a cross was lobbed over his head and it was met with a header at the back post. The header hit the bar before Skelton blocked the rebound on the line.

Ferriby were certainly in the game early on and should have opened the scoring in the 14th minute. A long ball forward caused confusion between a defender and the Macclesfield goalkeeper. Sam Cosgrove nipped in and pinched the ball. He could and probably should have had a shot from a narrow angle but he decided to try and cut the ball back to Curtis Bateson. By this time the Macclesfield defenders had scrambled back and Bateson saw his shot blocked.

Ferriby were quickly punished for this miss as the visitors opened the scoring 3 minutes later. A ball was played in to the box and after a bit of a scramble it was prodded home by George Pilkington. After a decent start this was just what Ferriby didn’t need and Connor Oliver going off injured compounded the blow. Soon after the goal Rory Watson made a fantastic save. A through ball split the Ferriby defence open and Kingsley James was clean through but Watson did brilliantly to save his shot.

Unfortunately, this was just a sign of things to come as Macclesfield doubled their lead soon after. George Whitehead was given far too much space in midfield and he picked out the bottom corner from 20 yards out leaving Watson helpless. Despite quickly going 2-0 down Ferriby didn’t let their heads dropped and tried to find a way back into the game. Curtis Bateson flashed a shot wide before Sam Topliss put in an excellent cross that Reece Thompson could only head wide.

Jake Skelton had to be on hand again to make another fantastic block on the line to prevent the visitors taking a 3-0 lead into half time.

HT North Ferriby United 0-2 Macclesfield

Ferriby came out for the second half fired up and created several early chances in the half. Reece Thompson looked to be through on goal but an excellent last ditch challenge denied him. Then Ryan Kendall saw a shot saved by the goalkeeper before Sam Cosgrove headed a cross over the bar.

Despite Ferriby starting the second half brightly the visitors were always dangerous on the counter attack. A cross shot from the right evaded everyone and ended up hitting the inside of the post with Watson nothing more than a spectator. Luckily it didn’t go in but it was a dangerous moment.

Ferriby then had another chance when Ryan Kendall found space in the area. He tried to square it to Thompson but a last ditch clearance denied Thompson. Macclesfield then had another opportunity to kill the game. There was a big scramble in the box and a shot came in but Jake Skelton was on hand yet again to block it on the line. Skelton was certainly Ferriby’s stand out player in the game as he blocked everything!

The last ten minutes passed without much incident as Ferriby probably realised it was going to be one of those games. One humorous moment did have the home crowd laughing and groaning at the same time. Assistant manager Darryn Stamp came on as a sub and he found himself clean through. By this time it was bucketing it down with rain and as Stamp could see the goal coming he began to slip in stages and ended up on his backside!

All in all a disappointing day for Ferriby and a bit of a reality check against a clinical side in the top half of the table. Connor Oliver went off injured and Matty Templeton pulled up in the warm up so next weeks break will be a blessing for Steve Housham as he looks to get some players back before a massive 6 pointer at Braintree in two weeks time.

FT North Ferriby United 0-2 Macclesfield

Following Ferriby Man of the Match: Jake Skelton

About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Match Reports. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s