Match Report North Ferriby United 1-2 Bromley

Another game, another defeat for North Ferriby United. The pattern is becoming unfortunately familiar. For the third time in a week Ferriby were beaten by the odd goal and for the second time in 5 days they conceded the winning goal in the last 5 minutes. What made today’s defeat worse was the fact that it was a much improved performance from Steve Housham’s side.

Ferriby changed personnel and playing style today. They were bright and energetic from the start with Reece Thompson and Ryan Fallowfield looking to prove a point to the manager after getting their chance today at the expense of Ryan Kendall and Connor Oliver.

The Villagers dominated the first half and created several clear cut chances. Reece Thompson was proving too hot to handle for the Bromley defence and he found himself one on one with the goalkeeper on two occasions in the opening quarter of the match. The first time the goalkeeper just got to the ball first but the second chance a few minutes later was a huge chance. Thompson got to the ball ahead of the last defender and steadied himself to shoot but the goalkeeper made himself big and Thompson could only fire his shot straight at him.

It wasn’t just Thompson who was proving a handful, Ryan Fallowfield was running the show in midfield. He was full of energy and endeavour and during the first half he didn’t misplace a pass. He was involved in a move that ended with Kyle Wootton pulling a shot wide before teeing up Stephen Brogan whose cross shot from wide on the left hit the top of the crossbar. Bromley mainly had tame shots from distance but their one good chance in the half came from Dave Martin who hit a powerful shot that was fumbled by Watson but eventually cleared.

HT North Ferriby United 0-0 Bromley

Bromley started the second half the better and had a couple of early chances. Both openings fell to Bradley Goldberg but he wasn’t able to capitalise on either occasion. Despite starting the half on the back foot Ferriby took the lead after 52 minutes. Ryan Fallowfield was instrumental in setting up the initial chance when he fed Kyle Wootton whose shot was parried by Alan Julian in the Bromley net. The ball fell to Thomspon who composed himself by taking a touch before smashing the ball into the net past the defender trying to clear the shot off the line.

This should have been the catalyst for Ferriby to go on and win the game but they seemed to panic after opening the scoring. This is probably not surprising from a team that have scored so few goals and lost so many games. They began to sit back despite their pressing game being effective until that point. As a result just five minutes after conceding the opening goal the visitors equalised. Bromley broke through midfield with pace and Skelton made a great tackle to deny a one on one chance with Rory Watson but unfortunately his tackle knocked the ball into the path of George Porter who drove his shot across the goal past Watson and into the net.

This was a big blow after such a good start to the second half but to their credit Ferriby then began to dominate again in search of the elusive winning goal. Ferriby had a succession of corners which they came close to scoring from but the bounce of the ball just wouldn’t go their way. Ryan Fallowfield had run himself into the ground with a relentless display in the engine room and he was replaced by Danny Emerton. Emerton had an immediate impact as his pace was too much for the Bromley defence to handle. Emerton put in some quality crosses that Ferriby couldn’t quite put the finishing touch to.

Bromley had a couple of good chances as Ferriby began to tire and Rory Watson had to make a stunning save diving to his right to deny them. Then as has happened so often recently the villagers were punished for not taking their chances. The ball came to Blair Turgott in the 89th minute. He turned his marker and placed his shot under the body of a diving Watson and into the net. This was very harsh on Ferriby after a much improved performance but they were unable to find an equaliser in the 5 minutes stoppage time and for the 7th time in October Steve Housham was left to pick up the pieces of a defeat.

FT North Ferriby United 1-2 Bromley

Following Ferriby Man of the Match: Ryan Fallowfield

Official Man of the Match: Reece Thompson

Attendance 354


About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Match Reports. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s