Match Report Boreham Wood 1-0 North Ferriby United

After the results of the last few weeks it has become clear to everyone that after a reasonably good start to the season the Villagers are now scrapping for their lives and to many that won’t be surprising. Cliché’s are common place in football and unfortunately for Ferriby they seem to be optimising the Cliché of a team threatened by relegation. They simply aren’t getting any luck. It’s often said that when you’re in and around the drop zone the bounce of the ball never goes your way and that cliché is haunting Steve Housham and his side right now.

Boreham Wood came out of the blocks on the front foot. The 12th placed side were clearly looking to score early against a team very low in confidence. Anthony Jeffrey was making his presence felt in the opening ten minutes and he went on to give Sam Topliss a torrid afternoon. The home side’s first chance was created by Jeffrey when he cut inside from the left and whipped in a cross to the back post that was met by Bruno Andrade who outjumped Brogan only to head the ball tamely into the arms of Rory Watson. This was the first piece of action for Watson in what turned out to be a very busy afternoon for the young goalkeeper. Jeffrey soon found himself in space again and he found Femi Ilesanmi who sent a great ball into the box which was met with a shot from Angelo Balanta which forced a wonderful save from Watson who managed to tip the ball round the post.

The home side dominated the first half in truth but Ferriby did create a couple of chances and one of those nearly gave them the lead. Firstly Stephen Brogan whipped a cross into the box which only needed a touch to hit the back of the net but Grant Smith was on hand to clear up for the home side. On the stroke of half time Connor Oliver almost gave Ferriby the lead. He hit a thunderous drive from 25 yards which Grant Smith did amazingly to tip onto the crossbar. The ball bounced down but not over the line and it was eventually cleared.

HT Boreham Wood 0-0 North Ferriby United

The second half couldn’t have started in a worse fashion for the Villagers as they conceded in the 47th minute.  A ball into the box was flicked into the path of Anthony Jeffrey who hit a brilliant curling shot into the bottom right hand corner past a helpless Rory Watson. After this the home side began to dominate and Watson had to be on hand on several occasions to make important saves. The Ferriby defence to their credit withstood a lot of pressure against a very good attacking side who played some excellent football.

Ferriby made changes to their formation and personnel in a bid to find an equaliser and in the last 20 minutes they did create pressure but as has been a problem all season they couldn’t create a clear cut chance to equalise which was frustrating for Steve Housham and the travelling Ferriby supporters. A positive of the second half was Danny Emerton who looked bright when he came on and his pace worried a tiring Boreham Wood defence. Rory Watson was on hand again in stoppage time to keep the score at 1-0 when he dived magnificently to his left to tip a shot from Adriano Moke round the post.

That was the last of the action and the home side got the win that they deserved. Ferriby now face another tough trip to Tranmere Rovers on Tuesday and they will be desperate for at least a point.

FT Boreham Wood 1-0 North Ferriby United

Following Ferriby Man of the Match: Rory Watson



About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Match Reports. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s