Match Report: North Ferriby United 0-3 Forest Green Rovers

Ferriby slumped to their second home defeat in a week against top of the table Forest Green. The visitors were top of the league going into the match so it was always going to be a tough game but this run of not picking up points needs to stop soon.

The opening to the game was pretty even with both sides enjoying spells of possession. Forest Green undoubtedly had quality but Ferriby were working hard and almost created a couple of openings for themselves. Simon Russell, Connor Oliver and Danny Clarke were working hard to break play down in midfield and it was working but the final distribution to the front three was often not up to scratch so we only managed a couple of half chances.

The opening goal came after 43 minutes with Ferriby again paying the price for a controversial refereeing decision. Carter for Forest Green appeared to trip over his own feet on the touchline yet somehow the referee awarded a free kick. The cross was sent high into the box and Ethan Pinnock rose to head it past Watson and into the net. This was a big blow and a bad time to concede especially with the decision looking so dubious.

HT North Ferriby 0-1 Forest Green Rovers

The opening period of the second half was very cagey with neither team creating chances. After about 20 minutes however Ferriby had a dominant spell in the game. Reece Thompson saw his shot flick off the keeper and this took all of the pace off it which allowed a Forest Green defender to clear it off the line. Ferriby then won a corner and Mark Gray headed the ball down into the ground only to see it bounce over the bar. They also had a couple of half chances from Mukendi but as has been the problem for weeks now they couldn’t find the net.

Forest Green wrapped up the points in the 75th minute. A corner from the left was swung in and Charlie Clough met it to head past a helpless Watson to double the visitors lead. This was a sucker punch to Ferriby and they didn’t look like getting back into the game after that. Forest Green then got a third goal in stoppage time which definitely flattered the table toppers. A counter attack resulted in a shot from Elliott Frear hitting the post and Christian Doidge was on hand to tap home the rebound.

This consigned Ferriby to their 5th defeat in a row and we have now scored only 1 goal in the last ten games. We are creating chances but these need to start being converted and quickly. Next week we face Macclesfield for the place in the FA Cup first round proper. Ferriby should need no motivation for this as we were cruelly denied a point at their place by the referee a couple of weeks ago and Ferriby have never reached the first round proper before.

FT North Ferriby United 0-3 Forest Green Rovers

Following Ferriby Man of the Match: Jake Skelton

Official Man of the Match: Simon Russell

Attendance 501


About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Match Reports, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s