Match Report Ferriby 1-1 Bath (Agg 3-3 Ferriby win 4-2 on pens)

After Ferriby let a two goal lead slip in the first leg the semi-final tie was evenly poised going into the second leg in front of a record crowd at the Eon Visual Media Stadium. Both sides knew that Wembley beckoned for the winner and the atmosphere was electric.

The Ferriby players may have been forgiven for thinking the Wembley dream was over after just two minutes when a cross was swung into the box and Nick McCootie rose unmarked to head the ball past Nicklin giving the visitors the perfect start.

Ferriby responded brightly to the early setback, their first chance fell to Tom Denton after Sam Topliss delivered a brilliant cross that Denton got his head to but he was denied by the goalkeeper. Ferriby were then furious a few moments later when Denton was clearly being pulled in the box but the Referee was unmoved.

Denton’s strike partner Ryan Kendall then had a couple of chances to equalise for Ferriby. His first was a header that didn’t have enough power to beat the keeper but he almost scored with his next chance. He received the ball down the left hand side and did brilliantly to cut inside his marker and surged into the box before unleashing a shot that was parried by the keeper. The rebound fell in-between three Ferriby players who got in each other’s way. Kendall eventually hit a shot that was well saved again.

Ferriby had a brilliant chance to equalise before half time. A cross from the left was met by Denton who headed it towards goal, unluckily for him the ball cannoned off the post and away to safety.

HT Ferriby 0-1 Bath (Agg 2-3)

Ferriby immediately began to push for an equaliser after half time but only seemed able to create half chances. Denton had a header saved and Kendall hit a rushed shot over the bar. The game changed midway through the second half when Ferriby were awarded a penalty. Tom Denton was almost rugby tackled in the box and the Ref had no option but to give a penalty which Liam King dispatched with ease to tie the game at 1-1

The home side were now well on top and were creating chances with ease. Tom Denton headed a corner over the bar and Russell Fry saw his free kick go agonisingly wide of the post. Despite the pressure being excerted by Ferriby it was Bath who had the best chance to win the game in 90 minutes. Deep into stoppage time Ben Adelsbury broke free in the box and had only Nicklin to beat but he dragged his shot wide and the game finished 1-1

FT Ferriby 1-1 Bath (Agg 3-3)

So the match went into extra time and Ferriby had the first chance when Jason St Juste’s low cross evaded everyone and if it had got a touch it would have gone in. The game could have swung a few minutes later when Russell Fry was sent off for a second booking but Ferriby managed to hold on a force a penalty shoot-out. They could have won it themselves right at the death when Gregg Anderson prodded a shot wide before being clattered by the goalkeeper.

Bath were up first in the shoot out and Dave Pratt went first. He had beaten Nicklin from the spot in the first leg but this time Nicklin denied him to give Ferriby an early advantage. Liam King smashed his penalty into the top corner before Nicklin saved Bath’s second penalty and Jarman scored Ferriby’s second to give the Villagers a huge advantage. Adam Bolder and Jason St Juste buried their penalties to give Ferriby a 4-2 shoot-out win and spark wild celebrations on the pitch. The Villagers are going to Wembley!

Match Report By Sam Shepherd


About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s