Match Report North Ferriby United 2-1 Grantham Town

Despite another nervy performance Ferriby managed to secure their place in the draw for the 4th qualifying round of the FA cup with a 2-1 victory over Northern Premier League side Grantham Town.
Grantham started brightly and didn’t look overawed by their Conference North opponents. Ferriby had an early shout for a penalty when Tom Denton was shoved over in the box but the linesman was flagging for offside.
The visitors looked dangerous early on and took the lead in the 13th minute. Grantham broke quickly through the middle of a sluggish Ferriby defence. The Grantham striker received the ball on the edge of the area and managed to slide the ball past an advancing Nicklin and into the bottom right hand corner of the net. It was a brilliant finish to give Grantham a 1-0 lead.
At that point an upset looked to be on the cards until a brilliant move brought an equaliser for Ferriby. Good play between the Ferriby midfield allowed Liam King to be released in the box and he curled the ball round the Grantham goalkeeper and into the net. The goal was a touch of class from King who is having another fine season for the Villagers. The goal made the score line 1-1 and eased the tension that had been building inside the ground.
The rest of the first half had very few chances except for one glorious chance for Tom Denton. A brilliant cross from the right was met at the back post by Denton but his downward header cannoned off the post when it really should have hit the back of the net.
HT 1-1
The cup tie was becoming very cagey with neither team taking many risks because they probably feared that they would be hit on the counter attack. Ferriby struggled to play fluid expansive football and this meant that they struggled to create clear cut chances. The first real chance of the half fell to Ferriby when a Russ Fry corner was met with a glancing header from Gregg Anderson that went agonisingly wide.
With injury time approaching and most fans contemplating a replay Ferriby managed to pull a winning goal out of the bag. Substitute Louis Bruce received the ball on the right hand side and whipped in a fantastic cross that was met by Jarman with a diving header at the back post. To the delight of the home fans the ball flew past the Grantham keeper and into the net and Ferriby took a 2-1 lead.
This was not the end of the story because Grantham had a glorious chance to equalise deep into stoppage time. They broke down the left and looked certain to score but Adam Nicklin managed to scramble across and make a last ditch save to deny the visitors. This was the second time in a few days that Nicklin had saved Ferriby from conceding a late goal. Soon after this the final whistle went and Ferriby had secured their place in the next round.
FT 2-1
This was a very nervous and disjointed performance from Ferriby but the main thing is they got through to the next round which is all that matters in cup competitions. They will hope for a favourable draw to give them every chance of making the first round proper for the first time in their history.
Man of the match (Ferriby): Liam King
Match Report by Sam Shepherd


About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s