Match Report Witton Albion 2-4 North Ferriby United

North Ferriby made it six league wins in a row away at Witton in what was arguably the toughest match of the six. It was a day for records to be broken because Ferriby had never won at Witton and by winning yesterday Ferriby became the first team to do the league double over Witton with Brian Pritchard at the helm. Ferriby were not emphatic in victory and for a lot of the match they were the second best team, but they found a way to win.

The first twenty minutes were incident free but the game came to life in the 23rd minute when Ryan Kendall was sent through one on one with the Witton keeper. His shot was saved but Anthony Wilson was on hand to slot home the rebound. The goal was very much against the run of play as Witton were dominating the game. 0-1

Just four minutes later Witton equalised. After a scramble in the box the ball was smashed home by Witton’s number 5. It was a goal the home side deserved. 1-1. In the 31st minute Witton had a chance to take the lead when they were awarded a penalty and there were no arguments from the Ferriby players. Ferriby breathed a sigh of relief however because the penalty  was sent wide of Nicklin’s left hand post.

Witton didn’t let this miss get to them because in the 33rd minute they took the lead. The ball fell to Witton in the right hand side of the box and it was smashed home emphatically. 2-1.

The match was now electric and just two minutes later Ferriby equalised. Ryan Kendall launched a brilliant solo run and shot under the Witton goalkeeper. It was a great run and finish. 2-2.

Witton kept pushing and in the 42nd minute they smashed a 25 yard volley just wide of the post. It was a great shot and was unlucky not to go in. Ferriby finished off this electric first half the better and two minutes into first half stoppage time they took the lead again. Ryan Kendall was again sent one on one with the goalie and he curled the ball round the despairing keeper and into the net to score his 22nd league goal of the season. 3-2

HT 3-2

The second half was a sedate affair with both teams clearly trying to be tighter at the back. Witton only ever looked likely to score on the counter attack in the second half and it was a much better defensive half from Ferriby. In the 78th minute a corner was swung in and Gregg Anderson popped up at the back post to smash the ball into the net from 2 yards. 4-2

This was the final incident of the match and Ferriby closed the game out well. FT 4-2

This was a brilliant win to secure for Ferriby because Witton away is an extremely hard fixture. Hednesford could only draw at Aston meaning even if they win their two games in hand they can only draw level on points with Ferriby who have a better goal difference.

Man of the Match: Gregg Anderson

Match Report by Sam Shepherd


About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s