Match report North Ferriby 3-2 Blyth Spartans

North Ferriby gave their fans a happy new year by making it three festive wins out of three against Blyth Spartans. The score line flattered Blyth and it was a match Ferriby dominated throughout. This is slightly worrying because Ferriby are creating lots of chances but are allowing teams to get back into matches because they aren’t killing them off.

Ferriby dominated from the start and had a big penalty shout turned down in the tenth minute when Anthony Wilson was sent tumbling. The referee wasn’t convinced and nothing was given. Wilson picked himself up and ten minutes later he scored the opener. Strike partner Ryan Kendall crossed and Wilson powered his header into the net 1-0

Just three minutes later Ferriby almost scored again. Centre half Gregg Anderson shot from close range but it was a defenders shot and flew high over the bar. Ferriby were dominating the match but in the 29th minute Adam Nicklin made a mistake and gifted Kendal an equaliser. He came out of his box but got beaten to the ball by a Blyth striker who slotted the ball into an empty net. 1-1

Ferriby didn’t let this get to them however and four minutes later Dean Lisles was very unlucky not to score when his header was cleared off the line. This was the final chance of the half and the teams went in level.

HT 1-1

Ferriby came out firing and just three minutes after half time Anthony Wilson nodded a header over the bar when he should have scored. In the 53rd minute Ferriby took the lead again. Gregg Anderson rose and hit an acrobatic bicycle kick into the net. It was a very classy goal for a centre back. 2-1

Ferriby continued to dominate and in the 73rd minute Anthony Wilson scored his second goal to top a man of the match performance. Wilson collected the ball near the halfway line and when he reached the edge of the box he scuffed his shot. Although it was scuffed the shot from Wilson still trickled into the bottom left hand corner of the net 3-1.

Ferriby thought they were cruising however in the 82nd minute Blyth scored a wonder goal from 25 yards out which gave them a lifeline. 3-2

Ferriby managed to weather the storm and in the 87th minute they had the final chance of the match when substitute Gary Bradshaw shot wide.

FT 3-2

Another game, another win for Ferriby who were very happy to hear that title rivals Hednesford had also lost. Ferriby are now seven points clear and will hope to extend their lead in the next few weeks against five teams from the bottom 8.

Man of the Match: Anthony Wilson

Match Report by Sam Shepherd


About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s