Match Report Ashton 0-2 Ferriby

I feel myself saying this every week now but once again North Ferriby came away from a tough away fixture with a well earned win that consolidates their position at the top of the table. Ferriby have now won 4 league games on the bounce to complete the “month of death” against 4 teams from the top 6.


Ferriby started very brightly in this game and had all the early chances. After 5 minutes Ryan Kendall found himself running one on one at the Ashton goalkeeper however his initial shot was saved and so was the rebound. It was an excellent double save from the goalkeeper. A minute later Liam King should have opened the scoring for Ferriby when he was set up in the box by Anthony Wilson but his shot was weak and straight at the grateful goalkeeper.


This dominant period by Ferriby gave Ashton a wake up call and they had the next chance when they forced Adam Nicklin into a smart low save in the 18th minute. Ferriby were in no mood to let Ashton get on top and just two minutes later they took the lead. Ryan Kendall got a piece of good fortune when a deflection in the Ashton defence left him with the ball at his feet one on one with the goalkeeper. His finish was simply sublime when he cheekily chipped the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper and into the net. It was a truly brilliant finish. 0-1


The game then hit a slow patch and no real chances were created with both teams matching each other. Ferriby had the final chance of the half in the 45th minute when Anthony Wilson went on a surging 40 yard run and shot just wide.


HT 0-1


Ashton came out of the dressing rooms on fire and almost equalised in the 48th minute. Adam Nicklin was left in no mans land when trying to block a shot from a brilliant Aston run. The ball looked to be going over the line however Gregg Anderson made a heroic dive and smashed the ball away from under his own bar. It was an amazing clearance.


Ashton had lots of possession in the second half and Ferriby were happy to play on the counter attack. This was indicated by the substitution of Anthony Wilson (Striker) for Russell Fry (Central Midfielder). As Billy Heath confirmed afterwards this was to “Kill the game”. This tactic seemed to be working for Ferriby except in the 72nd minute when an Aston attacker had a free header in the box that was saved by Nicklin.


Ferriby looked to have hung on for a 0-1 win but in the 90th minute they put the icing on the cake and sealed the game. Smart interplay between Ben Hunter and Liam King left King free in the box. He curled his shot sublimely round two Ashton defenders and into the bottom left hand corner of the net. A great finish to a determined team performance. Liam King again showed his quality and has proved to be a fantastic signing. 0-2


FT 0-2


16 unbeaten, four wins in a row, 7 points of the clear, the stats roll of the tongue and make very pleasant reading for everyone associated with North Ferriby United. The team fully deserve the plaudits they are getting and look more and more like real contenders every week. They now face another tough test of their credentials against 2nd placed Hednesford on Saturday.


The Man of the match award for this game has to go to Danny Clarke once again. He has been sublime recently and never stops trying for the team. He is undoubtedly the Ferriby player of the month for November with fantastic performances in all four tough matches.


Match Report by Sam Shepherd


About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s