Match Report North Ferriby 1-1 FCUM

North Ferriby extended their unbeaten league run to 11 matches with a tough, battling draw with promotion favourites FC United of Manchester. Both teams played very well and defence was king in a tight gritty match and both teams will be pleased with a draw. Ferriby now sit 6 points clear at the top of the league.


The game was very cagey throughout but Ferriby did almost score in the first minute when the always industrious Ryan Kendall embarrassed the FCUM left back with his pace but could only shoot wide. FCUM had the best chance in the first 20 minutes, in the 14th minute a shot from FCUM seemed to be heading into the net but Mark Grey got back quickly and cleared off the mine to save Ferriby and deny FCUM.


The game really had little incident for the next 20 minutes with the ball spending most of it’s time being battled for in the middle of the pitch. Ferriby constantly tried to find a spark and the wing area appeared to be providing some joy for them with Ryan Williams causing havoc down the left hand side.


Ferriby had the next chance in the 33rd minute when a pinpoint Russell Fry cross brilliantly picked out Chris Bolder who had his goal bound header tipped over the bar for a corner. It was an excellent cross and it probably deserved a goal.


Five minutes later FCUM took the lead. From a throw in down in the FCUM half Steve Ridley tried a cross that fell straight to a FCUM midfielder, who broke quickly and clinically. Within seconds they were on the edge of the Ferriby box. Jerome Wright had the ball, he looked up and saw Adam Nicklin running to one side of the goal, he guided the ball into the other corner for FCUM to take the lead. It was a truly brilliant finish and the shot deserved a goal.




The FCUM lead lasted just 5 minutes because in the 43rd minute Ferriby equalised. A cross from the left was headed down by substitute Jack Muldoon who had replaced Gary Bradshaw. The FCUM reached low to parry the header but Russell Fry pounced on the rebound to finish from two yards.




This was the final incident of the half and the sides went in level at the break and this was a very fair representation of the first half.



The second half was just as entertaining as the first half but little chances were created. It was brilliant to watch two excellent teams battling it out and giving their all in a bid to win but neither team could break the others defence down and the majority of the play was in the middle of the pitch.


The best chance of the second half fell to FCUM in the 83rd minute. Adam Nicklin rescued Ferriby with a stunning diving save that denied FCUM and kept Ferriby on level terms. This was the final incident of the second half and the match ended a draw.


FT 1-1


This was a truly enthralling game for fans who love to see two teams having a true battle on the pitch. The game certainly had two excellent teams on display and both of these teams are certainly good enough to have playoff ambitions. Ferriby will be happy with the point and will look forward to their next match against Buxton in the FA Trophy.


Match Report By Sam Shepherd

About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s