Match Report Ferriby 1-1 Whitby

North Ferriby’s 5 game winning streak came to an end against Whitby and they will probably be disappointed with that. Ferriby dominated much of the game but a combination of missed chances and a man of the match display from Whitby’s goalkeeper prevented the win.


Liam king had the first shot on target for Ferriby in the 7th minute. Ferriby built on this and in the 16th minute Ryan Kendall almost scored. He hit a shot very sweetly on the turn but unfortunately it was straight at the goalkeeper. 5 minutes later Kendall turned creator and hit a sweet cross straight across the goal, it only needed a touch from the on rushing Danny Clarke but he couldn’t get anything on it.


In the 23rd minute Gary Bradshaw hit a volley on the turn but the goalkeeper did well to save. Ferriby where dominating but slipped into their early season problem of not putting chances away and in the 24th minute they where punished. A foul was committed in the Ferriby box  and a penalty was given. Nathan Mulligan stepped up and smashed the penalty past Nicklin 0-1


In the 38th minute Ferriby where awarded a penalty of there own. A handball by a Whitby defender was spotted by the ref and the penalty was given. Gary Bradshaw stepped up to take the penalty but it was a poor one and was easily saved, however this was just the start because the linesman had his flag up because the Goalkeeper had come of his line. After much failed protest by the Whitby players Ferriby where allowed to retake the penalty. This time Russell Fry stepped up and his penalty was also very poor as he sent it wide. This was a huge chance missed for Ferriby and penalty taking is a problem Ferriby have had for two or three seasons. Billy heath will hope to eradicate this and he may consider a completely different player to take our next one.


This was the final incident of the half so Whitby held a 1-0 lead at the break.


The first chance of the 2nd half fell to Ryan Williams but he couldn’t mark his home debut with a goal and his shot went high and wide. The game then had a quiet 15 minutes until the 75th minute when Whitby had a shot smartly tipped over the bar by Adam Nicklin. 


The game looked to be heading for a Whitby win but the drama was just about to begin. In the 89th minute Ferriby captain Paul Foot was controversially sent off for a two footed challenge on a Whitby midfielder. This was a strange decision because a Whitby player got away with a two footed lunge just seconds earlier.


This seemed to spark Ferriby into life with not much time left. In the 90th minute super sub Jack Muldoon collected the ball, burst into the right hand side of the box and smashed the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal. This sparked wild celebrations in the stands and on the pitch. Ferriby carried on pushing but couldn’t get the winner.


FT 1-1


Although they didn’t get the win a 90th minute equaliser felt like a victory especially with ten men. Ferriby are 6 games unbeaten and now go into 2 or hopefully 3 weeks of cup matches in decent form. Billy Heath will still not be totally pleased because with 14 points from 8 league games Ferriby are 2 points behind Heaths target of 2 points a match average.


Match Report by Sam Shepherd


About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s