Match Report North Ferriby 1-1 Buxton (Evo Stik League Fixture)

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Steve Gardner, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Gregg Anderson, Paul Foot, Danny Clarke, Russell Fry, Jack Muldoon (Steve Ridley 64), Gary Bradshaw, Lee Morris (Ryan Kendall 71). Non-playing subs: Mark Gray,  Neil Stevens, Antoni Pecora,

Buxton: Steve Collis, Grant Black, Kevin Sandwith, Steve Istead, David Haggerty, Mark Roberts, Jordan Hall (Mark Reed 45), Michael Towey, Kieran Lugsden, Scott Maxfield (Kyle Nix 61), Sam Duncum (Jordan Thewlis). Non-playing subs: Kallum Keane, Tom Turner

The opening fixture of the 2012/13 season turned out to be a tale of two points dropped rather than a point gained from North Ferriby’s perspective. Buxton grabbed a late equaliser  and this left them feeling elated and Ferriby deflated..

The game started slowly with both teams seemingly suffering from first game nerves. Buxton dominated the possession in the first 15 minutes but did little with it and both teams frequently gave the ball away in good positions. Ferriby were the first team to start creating chances and this started in the 17th minute when Liam King hit a cross/shot just wide of the goal. Ferriby built on this and Paul Foot wasted a great chance in the 22nd minute when he headed a Russell Fry free kick over the bar. A minute later Ferriby where a width of a post away from scoring when Danny Clarke curled a shot from the right hand side of the box which Collis pushed onto the post and out for a corner.

Ferriby built on these chances and opened the scoring in the 30th minute through Gregg Anderson. A beautiful free kick cross from Russell Fry , whose distribution was brilliant all day, was met in the centre of the box by Anderson who nearly broke the net with his accurate and powerful header. In the 33rd minute Buxton almost equalised when they had a shot cleared off the line. Buxton fans behind the goal protested that it was over the line but the “goal” wasn’t given. Ferriby had the final chance of the half when Russell Fry had a header tipped over the bar.

The second half started almost as slowly as the first but in the 54th minute Ferriby had another good chance when another great cross from Fry was headed just wide from Lee Morris. The second half never really got going with both sides giving the ball away far too much. The next chance fell to Buxton in the 70th minute when Mark Reed hit an overhead kick straight at Adam Nicklin.

The game looked to be drifting towards a slightly dull Ferriby win but stoppage time changed all that. The referee added on four additional minutes. The game still continued however well into the 95th minute. A free kick from Buxton was cleared but fell to Grant Black 30 yards out who couldn’t have hit the ball any sweeter. The ball flew into the top right hand corner of the net and Nicklin didn’t move. Black will probably not score a better goal in his career and this won Buxton a point. Ferriby left the field feeling angry with themselves for not putting enough chances away and the referee for adding so much time on. Ferriby got a point from this game but it felt like a defeat and two points dropped because of the timing of Buxton’s equaliser. Ferriby need to improve going forward and put more chances away if they are to win in midweek at worksop.

Man of the Match: Russell Fry .


About ferribyshep

Co-founder, writer and director for FanaticHull
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s